This year, the Movember Foundation is urging men to Grow Your Mo, Make Your Move or Host An Event.
Here at Chandler Material Supplies we're getting on board the campaign with a whole host of ways to raise awareness and funds this November
1. Our lorries will be decorated with their very own moustaches made out of items found in the yard
2. Every delivery during the month of November will result in a 50p donation to the charity. Customers will also have the opportunity to match the donation
3. Male staff and customers are being encouraged to let their facial hair grow over the course of the month
4. Children are invited to take part in a colouring competition, by colouring an image of a Chandler lorry sporting its moustache. The children who return the best designs will be invited to have a tour of the yard, sit in the Chandler diggers and collect a prize.
5. Female staff and customers are taking on the Movember Foundation’s challenge to walk or run 60km over the month to highlight the 60 men lost to suicide each hour
6. For each photo of a Chandler lorry sporting its tash posted to the Chandler social media pages, £1 will be donated to Movember
Working in a male-dominated industry, the team behind the builders’ merchant are keen to do all they can to help.
Ben Chandler, finance director, is part of the family which set up the company in the 1950’s and is proud of the priority placed on people and the community.
He said: “We have been affected by prostate cancer within the Chandler family. We are trying to not only support our employees and customers to talk, but to also raise awareness. As a local family business built up by the local community, we feel it’s important to give back to that community. The local community is where our directors and most of the team have grown up, as well as the previous generations of Chandlers, and our yard has been part of this community most of our lives. It is very important to us and we try to support it however we can.
“We have a lot of men working in our industry. There’s a big stigma around mental health for men and we often do not want to talk about our feelings. We are trying to break that stigma while raising money for a worthwhile charity.
“We wanted to do something which involved both customers and staff, including the ladies. Our industry as a whole is trying to become more female-friendly; not just at a merchant level, but also at a builder level. That’s why it was important for us to also include women in our Movember campaign.”
If you spot a Chandler lorry around the city bearing its moustache, post photos to facebook.com/chandlermaterials or on Twitter at @ChandlerWidford
To donate, visit justgiving.com/fundraising/teamchandlermovember
To get a copy of the colouring competition image, email firstname.lastname@example.org